The Full Form of ICU is the Intensive Care Unit. ICU is also known as the Critical Care Unit (CCU) or Intensive Treatment Unit (ITU) or intensive therapy unit, which is a special department of health care facility that provides the intensive treatment.
Intensive care units are for patients with severe illnesses, accident and injuries, which require constant care, close supervision from life support equipment. In ICU staffs are highly trained therapists, nurses & physicians who specialize in caring for critically ill patients.
Sometimes patients may be referred directly from ward or from the emergency department or if they rapidly deteriorate or a patient is at high risk of complications.ICU patients sometimes require mechanical ventilation at the time abnormality in breathing.
The Full Form of ICU is : Intensive Care Unit
A specialized ambulance with the team and equipment to provide on-scene Advanced Life Support and intensive care during transportation it’s called as ‘ Mobile intensive care unit (MICU)’.
- Speech therapists
- Occupational therapists
- Social Workers
- Neurological Intensive Care Unit (NeuroICU)
- Post-anesthesia care unit (PACU)
- Geriatric intensive-care unit (GICU)
- Psychiatric intensive care unit (PsICU)
- Coronary care unit (CCU)
- Surgical intensive care unit (SICU)
- Traumatic Intensive Care Unit (TICU
- Neonatal intensive care unit (NICU)
- High dependency unit (HDU)
- Pediatric intensive care unit (PICU)
Equipment and systems :
Number of different machines or devices whilst in the ICU as follows :
- Breathing machines or ventilators
- Kidney machines
- Heart rate and heart electrical tracing (ECG)
- Oxygen levels in the blood
- Blood pressure
- Pressure in the veins (CVP)
- Urine output
- All the fluids, food and drugs.
Hope that this article will informative for you. Thanks for visiting The Full Form Dictionary.